December 31, 2008

Pecan Pies.

For as long as I can remember my Memaw has made the best pecan pies anyone has ever tasted. Not only do they taste good but they are perfect in appearance.
I have never attempted to make a pecan pie, why should I she always had plenty. However when I went to visit her for Christmas she asked if I wanted to learn and of course I said yes. I spent the next hour or so chopping pecans, stiring the mix, and listening to her talk about the people that she takes pies to every year. This year she added the doctor's office were she gets her treatments for cancer. She had to make two for them because the first one was seized by the nurses and the doctors were not told it was there, needless to say they begged for another one. :) I'm not sure what prompted her to teach me that day. Maybe she knows that she is getting older and that she has only a short time left and she wants to pass on something that is special to her. I strongly suspect she wanted to teach me because she knows how much Ryan enjoys her pies and she believes in keeping your husband happy by baking. Whatever the reason, I had a great time learning and listening and now I have a wonderful memory that will always be with me.

3 comments:

Paul said...

Wow, I'm honored that I'm #1 on your blogroll. Ha ha. Welcome to blogland!

Emily said...

What a great time with your Memaw! Welcome to the curious world of blogging!

Rachel said...

Look at you, being all bloggy and such. I am way impressed. Keep it up!